#weredragon #dragon #gamedev #boardgame #tabletop
As I’ve mentioned, I’ve been developing a tabletop game called WereDragon Melee which I will plan to relaunch on kickstarter. I recently joined the Gameboard Developers Guild in Salt Lake City. Last Tuesday, I had the opportunity to have them test it. The feedback was immensely valuable, which of course means having my work cut out for me, but that’s a good problem.
I went ahead and did a blind test with them, where they had figure out the game on their own, using the rules. I, of course, clarified things they obviously wouldn’t know, such as what the prototype pieces in the bag correspond to what components referred to by the rules. I’m glad I did the blind test. I overhauled the rulebook due to what I discovered.
However, my game benefited in other ways from this session. My testers suggested that I have the board composed of 6 wedges, like you can see below, with reversible sides, instead of 60 individual tiles, tedious to setup. Doing the math on the wedge approach gives 11,197,440 possible board configurations, more than plenty.
Another suggestion was to switch from a slider approach on the stat cards to a dial approach, spinning numbers inside card with current value appearing through a window. One of the things I like about the dial approach is how significantly it declutters the cards, as seen below:
So, after these changes, the next steps will be to get the new prototype put together, and then test to see if it’s ready. When it’s ready along with the sculptures for the human/dragon tokens, I can send the finish prototype to review sites and things like that. Then finally, kick it on the kickstarter!